Becoming a mother is a life-changing experience that brings immense joy, and it often leaves behind physical changes to the body. These changes are beautiful reminders of the miraculous journey of pregnancy and motherhood—no mother should ever feel pressured to erase them.
That said, it’s also OK to address any physical changes that make you uncomfortable. A mommy makeover is a popular choice that can help you restore your pre-pregnancy body and confidence—and one of the most common questions about this option is, “What is the right age for a mommy makeover?”
Here, triple board-certified cosmetic surgeon Dr. Alexander Sobel discusses factors that may influence your cosmetic surgery timeline to help ensure you have surgery at the right time for you.
In this video, Dr. Alex Sobel shares his thoughts on the term “mommy makeover.”
What is a mommy makeover?
A mommy makeover is a term used to describe a combination of procedures to address the physical changes that occur after pregnancy and childbirth. These changes can include sagging or deflated breasts, excess skin and fat on the abdomen, stretch marks, and diastasis recti.
Common procedures in a mommy makeover treatment plan
The most common breast & body contouring procedures included in a mommy makeover are:
- Breast augmentation
- Breast lift
- Tummy tuck (which may include diastasis recti repair)
Other procedures, such as a Brazilian butt lift (BBL) or body lift surgery, may also be included. Your surgery plan should be unique to you and your aesthetic goals; your choices may even include face and skin rejuvenation procedures.
Why are mommy makeovers so popular?
Mommy makeover holds a 95% Worth It rating, and the popularity of mommy makeovers has increased in recent years for several reasons:
- Cosmetic and plastic surgery procedures have become more advanced and safer—with improved techniques and technology—making surgeries more accessible and appealing to women who want to address post-pregnancy body changes.
- There has been a cultural shift towards accepting and promoting self-care and body positivity; women are more willing to invest in themselves and their bodies to feel confident and empowered.
- Social media has helped to make cosmetic surgery more visible and normalized it in our popular culture. Women can easily find before and after photos of other women who have had a mommy makeover and see the transformations similar patients have achieved.
Cosmetic surgery data also indicates more patients are opting for combination procedures, like mommy makeovers, for comprehensive, longer-lasting results and a single recovery period.
Factors to consider when deciding on the right age for a mommy makeover
The right age for a mommy makeover depends on a number of factors, including physical and emotional readiness, family planning, and age.
Pregnancy and childbirth can take a significant toll on your body, and it takes several months to fully recover. It is crucial to allow your body to heal completely to avoid increased surgical risks and ensure that the final results of your mommy makeover are optimal.
It is also recommended that you have achieved a healthy, sustainable weight you are satisfied with before considering surgery. For example, if you undergo a body contouring procedure before your body has recovered and weight changes have stabilized, there is a risk that the results will change over time. That said, you do not need to be at your ideal weight before surgery—while cosmetic surgery is not a weight-loss solution, it can be an invaluable tool to help you achieve healthy weight goals.
Additionally, mothers planning to breastfeed their children should wait until they have finished breastfeeding before undergoing any breast-related procedures. Breastfeeding typically causes changes in breast size and shape, and it is important to wait until your breasts have stabilized before considering any surgical procedures.
In addition to physical readiness, it is essential to consider emotional readiness before your mommy makeover. Motherhood is a life-changing experience, and it can take time to adjust to the emotional changes that come with it.
One of the primary benefits of a mommy makeover is the confidence boost it can provide; however, having realistic expectations about the procedure’s outcome is crucial, and patients should understand that surgery alone will not solve underlying issues. If your dissatisfaction with your body is rooted in self-esteem or body image issues, surgery may not be the best solution for the time being, and counseling may be a better option.
It is also important to consider the potential emotional impact of the mommy makeover recovery process. Surgery and recovery may be stressful if you are not well-prepared, so it is essential to have a support system in place to provide emotional support and help with daily tasks during the recovery period. This is especially important for mothers caring for small children while recovering from surgery.
Family planning is an essential factor to consider when deciding the right age for a mommy makeover. While pregnancy after a mommy makeover is safe, it may reverse some of the benefits of the surgery. A secondary procedure may be required to maintain your initial surgery results; however, liposuction, breast lift, fat grafting, and even skin removal from a tummy tuck are quite durable and often maintain pleasing results after pregnancy-related changes.
Many cosmetic surgery procedures like mommy makeovers provide both aesthetic benefits and support a healthy diet and exercise routine. Women typically find that an active lifestyle is physically and mentally easier to maintain when they feel confident in their bodies and are no longer limited by issues such as excess skin or stretched abdominal muscles. In this case, having a mommy makeover before completing your family is worth thoughtful consideration and should be discussed with your surgeon.
If you are considering a mommy makeover, it may be best to wait until you have completed your family or do not plan on having any more children within the next two years.
A mommy makeover can achieve safe, beautiful results at nearly any age; however, there are unique advantages to consider when determining the best time to have your surgery.
Advantages for younger mommy makeover patients
Patients who undergo surgery sooner rather than later may experience the following advantages:
- A faster recovery. Generally speaking, younger patients tend to heal more quickly, so recovery time may be shorter and you may be able to return to work and daily activities sooner after the procedure.
- You’ll have better skin elasticity. Skin elasticity decreases with age, which can impact the results of procedures such as a tummy tuck or breast lift. Younger patients typically have better skin elasticity, which can result in smoother and more natural-looking results.
- You’ll have more time to enjoy the results. Having a mommy makeover at a younger age means you’ll have more time to enjoy the benefits of the surgery. This can include improved self-confidence, increased physical activity, and a more positive outlook on life.
- Your results may be longer-lasting. This is because younger patients typically have fewer age-related concerns that can affect cosmetic surgery results.
Advantages for older mommy makeover patients
While having a mommy makeover at a younger age has its benefits, there are also advantages to waiting to have the procedure:
- You may be more emotionally ready. Once you have had more time to come to terms with your post-pregnancy body, you may be more emotionally prepared to make a change. You may have a more stable self-image and be better equipped to handle the emotional (and physical, if your children are older) demands of surgery and recovery.
- You may have better financial stability. Women who are further along in their career may be more financially stable, making it easier to afford the cost of the surgery.
- You’ll have more time for self-care. Once your children are older, you may have fewer family responsibilities and more time to devote to self-care—focusing more on your recovery and adhering to the postoperative instructions more closely, which can result in better outcomes.
- You can address age-related concerns. The more time that passes, the more likely you are to experience additional concerns such as sagging skin, wrinkles, and age spots. A mommy makeover can address some of these concerns in addition to the post-pregnancy changes, with a single consolidated recovery.
Ultimately, the decision to undergo a mommy makeover should be made in a consultation with a board-certified cosmetic surgeon who can provide personalized advice based on your individual needs and circumstances.
Mommy makeover specialist in Bellevue and Seattle, WA
With these considerations in mind, the expert medical team at Anderson Sobel Cosmetic Surgery is here to support your body contouring goals! As an award-winning cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Alexander Sobel has extensive experience performing a range of cosmetic surgeries, including mommy makeovers. Dr. Sobel is renowned for his thoughtful and balanced approach to body contouring procedures to achieve natural-looking results. Discover why Dr. Sobel’s Bellevue and Seattle patients love his safe, consistent results—schedule your mommy makeover consultation online or call (425) 453-9060.